Thank you to our friends at Healthy Habits Kitchen for providing this recipe.
This recipe is adapted from one originally in Cooking Light magazine. It is a surefire crowd pleaser – every time I bring this to an event, people clamor for the recipe!
- 1 1/2 c. water
- 3/4 c. uncooked quinoa, rinsed well and drained
- 1/4 c. shelled, chopped pistachios (about 1 ounce)
- 2 c. cooked chicken breast (from about 2 [3-oz.] breasts), chopped
- 1/3 c. chopped green onions
- 1/3 c. chopped dried pineapple
- 1 T. toasted sesame oil
- 1 1/2 t. bottled minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 t. ground cumin
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/4 t. crushed red pepper
Boil water in a small saucepan. Add quinoa. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 12 minutes or until the water is absorbed. Remove from heat and keep covered.
Heat a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add chopped pistachios and cook 2 minutes or until lightly toasted, stirring frequently. Transfer pistachios to a large bowl; add cooked quinoa and remaining ingredients to bowl. Toss gently to coat.
Makes 4 cups. Can be served as a light main course for 4, or as a side dish. I usually double this and serve it as a main course with leftovers for lunch the next day!