- 1 cup white flour pasta, dry
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 2 cups broccoli, frozen
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- Bring a pot of water to a boil.
- Add the pasta to the boiling water. Stir occasionally.
- Place the broccoli in a microwave-safe bowl and thaw in microwave just until defrosted.
- Add marinara sauce to broccoli, cover the bowl with wax paper, and set aside.
- As pasta is nearing readiness, microwave the broccoli and sauce until desired temperature.
- While the broccoli and sauce are warming, remove the pasta from the heat and drain it.
- Immediately add the pasta to the broccoli and sauce mixture.
- Garnish with walnuts.
When consumed the day of or the day before a race, meals lower in fiber tend to be better tolerated; hence, the white flour pasta. Broccoli may similarly cause gastrointestinal distress for some runners, so feel free to switch in your favorite vegetable(s).
Regardless of the meal you intend on eating the night before your race, be sure to try it the night before a practice run in order to make sure you tolerate it well and feel your best.