The following recipe is an adaptation of an Ellie Krieger recipe, the original of which can be found here.
- Cooking spray
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 20 ounces of canned pumpkin
- 2 cups 1 or 2% milk
- 4 ounces extra-sharp cheddar, grated (about 1 1/3 cups)
- 2 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, grated (about 2/3 cup)
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon powdered mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a 9 by 13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the macaroni and cook until tender but firm, about 5 to 8 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, place the pumpkin and milk into a large saucepan and cook over a low heat, stirring occasionally. Turn the heat up to medium and cook until the mixture is almost simmering, stirring occasionally. Remove the pan from heat and stir in the cheddar, Jack cheese, ricotta cheese, salt, mustard and cayenne pepper. Pour cheese mixture over the macaroni and stir to combine. Transfer the macaroni and cheese to the baking dish.
- Combine breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese and oil in a small bowl. Sprinkle over the top of the macaroni and cheese. Bake for 20 minutes, then broil for 3 minutes so the top is crisp and nicely browned.